Saturday, December 30, 2006

untitled (30.12.06)

(I warn you, although what I write here is how I feel, this is one of my more spontaneous writings, I may edit it in the future)

It appears that every so often the inquiring mind tends to ask questions that do not have direct answers. Over the past centuries philosophers have asked the very questions that humble us. A philosopher uses logic, and method to analyze such questions, answer them in the best manner possible, but with so many answers we become confused.

What is life, what is it to be alive, what is “human”.

I will not attempt to answer these questions; I have no answers. All I have is questions. This will be my thought discharge.

A very good friend of mine once asked me these very same questions, I didn’t answer at the time, and it’s been an ongoing conversation for about a year now, ever since I started reading some philosophy. He’s answer was “life is life”. And I agree. I also think life is multifactorial. Imagine a huge puzzle, with too many corners, each corner represents a factor or a part of what we call life. What are these factors? That depends on the person. In my case they would most likely be love, self-improvement, studying medicine, spirituality and a few others. This is how I see things: I am on a hiatus, I started putting the puzzle back together from these corners, and not a single one of them is complete.

(This isn’t going the way I planned, may I remind you this is a thought discharge, a form of verbal diarrhea)

What is it to be alive? I see people walking around imitating what our biology books would define as being alive. Yet why is that I can’t believe it?
I want more than just acting out what it is to be a homo sapien. I want more.

I want to feel real, not just act it all out, I want to enjoy whatever I do, I want to feel every emotion I can, I want to experience everything I can. Fools and marionettes: that is what they are. I am not part of a play; I’m not part of the system. I want to leave an impression on you. I want to love and be loved. I will spoil those I love. Create and inspire.

When Death comes, what remains of us?
Our deeds, and the memories we leave behind.
I will not be forgotten.

I am human.
I am man.
But I don’t want to be every other man.
I am youssof

What I write today is desperately deficient. I have so much more to write, but it seems my thoughts cannot be translated into keystrokes. It’s my infamous “failure of eloquence”

I’ll leave you with Jean-Paul Sartre:

“Everything has been figured out, except how to live.”

“It disturbs me no more to find men base, unjust, or selfish than to see apes mischievous, wolves savage, or the vulture ravenous.”

“Man is not the sum of what he has already, but rather the sum of what he does not yet have, of what he could have.”

“One is still what one is going to cease to be and already what one is going to become. One lives one's death, one dies one's life.”

“One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.”

“It is only in our decisions that we are important.”

Just read: “For One More Day” – Mitch Albom
About to read: “Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” - Robert Maynard Pirsig
Should be reading: Davidson’s “principles and Practice of Medicine”
Listening to: Beautiful Mine – The Butterfly Effect
And various other songs

2 Comments:

Blogger Souma said...

it's really long...

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. To put to rout all that was not life, and not, when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and
Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life,
to cut a broad swath and share close, to drive life into
a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms,
and if it proved to be mean, why then to get the
whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its
meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by
experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my
next excursion. For most mean, it appears to me, are in
a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God,
and have "somewhat hastily" concluded that it is the chief end of man
here to "glorify God and enjoy him forever". "

by Henry David Thoreau.

3:57 PM  
Blogger AphroditeShari said...

ARGH!! this stupid thing.. i typed out a whole long meaningfuly reply to ur post and the site screwd up and not its all lost! OH the sanity!! *faint*

eh.. anywayz.. i guess its a sign that i shudnt post what i wanted to post.. i guess i shud just stick to sayin.. ur words altho u may think are very random thoughts and meaningless.. they are quite cool.

keep those thoughts coming.
awesome blog seff!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home